Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry whose focus is on correcting teeth and jaws that are not positioned properly. When the teeth are crooked or crowded, they are harder to sufficiently clean, so they are more prone to cavities. Misaligned teeth or bad bites are referred to as malocclusion. There are several types of malocclusion that can be corrected with orthodontic treatment. These include:
– Underbite – With an underbite the lower teeth sit in front of the upper teeth.
– Overbite – An overbite is sometimes called “buck teeth.” The upper teeth sit too far in front of the lower teeth.
– Crossbite – A crossbite is when one or more of the upper teeth sit inside of the lower teeth when you or your child bites down. A crossbite can occur in the front and/or sides of the mouth.
– Open bite – In an open bite, when the back teeth bite together, there is a space between the side and/or front teeth.
– Spacing – When the jaw is too large for the teeth or teeth are missing, gaps or spaces between the teeth is the result.
– Crowding – When there is not sufficient room in the jaw for the teeth, the teeth may overlap or sit too close together.
If you or your little one are suffering from malocclusion, Dr. Joseph Wilson and our team are here to help! Keep in mind that even if you don’t notice malocclusion in your smile or your child’s smile, there may still be a slight alignment issue that can be detected and corrected or prevented.
Feel free to contact Yuma Orthodontics, Inc. at (928) 343-9559 today to learn more about orthodontics in Yuma, Arizona, and to schedule a visit with our orthodontist.